June 21, 2013

Birth Is Instinctive


By Cathy Daub, BWI President

When Roanna Rosewood contacted me and asked me to be part of her birth visionaries platform for the launching of her new book “Cut, Stapled, and Mended,” I immediately accepted. Her book is her story of having had two cesareans followed by a VBAC. It is conversational and enjoyable reading and takes us through the wide range of emotions that women have when making decisions about birth and then living with those decisions. The glimpses she gives us of her personal life are engaging and touch feelings and issues all pregnant women have in birth. Her story is honest and genuine. I highly recommend her book.

All visionaries on her platform were asked to provide a downloadable bonus gift. I offered and carried out a one-hour teleclass on the topic “Birth is Instinctive.”

The underlying message of my talk is that all women are born with the knowledge about how to give birth. Therefore birth is instinctive and what is instinctive doesn’t need to be taught. When people ask, “Then what are you teaching in your childbirth preparation classes?” I respond, “We are helping women to have more trust and faith in their body knowledge that already knows how to give birth.” This is accomplished through the understanding and practice of human values and provides a unique approach to childbirth preparation that is empowering and transforming in nature.

Those on the call had an opportunity to ask questions. Here are a couple I would like to share with you.

First question: I had a beautiful home birth with positive thoughts. I was confident about being able to birth my baby. But then I hemorrhaged after my baby was born. Now I’m pregnant again and have fears because of what happened the first time. What should I do?

Answer: Every birth is unique unto itself. We all know how different children are and even how different one labor is compared to another. Each is a new experience. Therefore we need not compare a previous birth with a new upcoming birth. It is good to say an affirmation (positive thought pattern) to yourself over and over again such as “I am birthing a new baby unique unto herself.”

Second question: I was with a woman who had a previous cesarean and worked hard to have a VBAC. She did all the right things, saying positive affirmations, finding a safe place to give birth, yet she had another cesarean. What can I say to her?

Answer: She needs your comfort, support, and love. She needs to know she did the very best she could and that she cannot ask more of herself than that. Everything in life is a learning experience. It is important that all women continue to love themselves regardless of the birth outcome.

Birth has the potential to be a peak experience in a woman’s life and my wish is for all women to experience the full potential of what it has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment